Saturday, October 4, 2008

Happy Fall, Happy Lamb Chops


Last night in the San Francisco area we had our first bona fide "storm" of the season.  What does this mean?  Wind blowing-oh my- and for the first time since March (outside of a few drops one night in April) It RAINED in Marin county!  I know a lot of people around here are sad to see the endless days of sunshine interrupted by some clouds and showers, eventually giving way in December to some full on weeks of nearly constant rain....but we are quite happy to feel the cool breeze ruffling the papers on our desk.  AAahhh.  I was listening closely at just the right time and I heard the whistling wind whisper "lamb chops" very quietly in my ear.  

We have a not so secret love affair with health foods, hanging out with the bulk bins, always having a "grain drawer" stuffed with millet, quinoa, various nuts and seeds and finding it unacceptable to be without kale in our refrigerator.  We also love to make our all natural kashi bars and peanut butter apple oat cookies, handsome enough that our friend Matt Frank renamed them "Lookies".   We adore the wide world of veggies and treat them like neglected children, lavishing attention on them as they realize their full potential.  But we work (as cooks) for a woman who really loves the classics and needs her dose of meat, giving us the perfect opportunity to make some really yummy comfort food.

Now on to the dish in the picture.  Rack of Lamb.  So simple to make and what a delivery.  We liberally seasoned this beauty with salt, pepper and a mix of dried green herbs--probably Napa Style's Herbes de Napa.  We seared it on all sides and popped it into the oven.  On the side is a sweet potato puree and a warm salad of greens and multi colored carrots.  The icing on the cake is that gorgeous red sauce under the lamb....a red wine pan sauce made just after searing the lamb so it is rich with meaty flavor and maybe just a small pat of butter swirled in at the end.  Seriously good stuff.  I didn't realize what a fan I would become of making and eating lamb chops, but it has happened.  So easy to make and flavor that never fails to impress me every time!

5 comments:

MiandO said...

WOW, this post has almost turned me, a raw foodie, into a meat lover! haha When I read your blog I feel like you are right here with us. It warms me inside.....awww
xx

winedeb said...

Yum Guys! This looks fantastic! Lamb is so flavorful and I bet that sauce just sets it off.
I want the recipe for the Lookies! I do not bake much but those sound awesome!
Glad to hear you are enjoying your fall weather. It is getting pretty nice down here now. Finally the lows at night are getting into the high 70's! Just planted my first two tomato plants of the season - come on winter!

Anonymous said...

Looks amazing! In Michigan, there's a lamb and goat guy at the farmer's market who routinely sells the lamb's neck. It makes for a stunning risotto. Have the two of you been able to find mutton in the Bay Area? Louisa assures me it's gamier (and, in turn, better) than a lot of domestic lamb. Also: can you imagine a "Lookie" with a classic meat dish spin? Lookie piccata...?

nt said...

my favorite, lamb chops, and these look scrumptious.

J and B said...

I, too, am much more tantalized by a creative, colorful, crunchy new vegetable dish than by the meat and potatoes I grew up on. But that sauce you describe to place beneath those lamb beauties just kicked their appeal way up. I need to perfect my saucing abilities. The Buzz man will be thrilled. Thanks for motivating me. I'm off to read the cookbook. J and B